Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Learning should come from within…

I read a blog post suggested to me by fellow blogger friend Pat H. from Successful Teaching.The blog post, Reversing the Curriculum, was from the blog entitled Special Ed Changes.

The blogger got my interest immediately and I desperately wanted to share the first 2 videos with my readers.

I know I should keep on with my narrative here and make my point, but I don’t want to make you wait longer in your reading to see these two entertaining videos. When you finish them, we will continue with our narrative. (I’m just like a 5 year old!)

Here are those 2 videos.

and the 2nd video …

Watching these 2 engaging videos made me realize that it would be great if children could learn what they wanted, when they were ready, when they wanted, and in the order they wanted, much like the Montessori Method.

View this Montessori video as well. I know it is longer than the other videos, but try to finish it all the way to the end.

The discussion in this blog post centered on ...

When kids come to school at five (if kids should come to school at five in the first place) they have certain fascinations - hearing and telling stories, understanding signs, the physics which make their world work, hot and cold, animal behaviour. And great teachers do embrace much of this, but our school curriculum never does.
Instead of running with this natural learning curve, instead of meeting our students where they are, we focus all of our attention through the age of eight on a certain set of formalized learning systems which disinterest most kids, and are essentially impossible for many. We spend all of our time on complex symbolic codes (the alphabet, the numeral system) and on the operation of those code systems (phonics, spelling, arithmetic).
And, within three years, we have taken kids thrilled to start school and turned them into kids who'd rather be anywhere else.

In this age of technology and ever present information everywhere we are, why can we not let children learn as they are ready?

Why can’t children teach other children, teachers teach children, and children teach teachers?

I know, the tests… the accountability… I STILL think it can work.

See a very early blog post I made concerning my niece and nephew and their early PS-8 Montessori education.

What are you doing in your classroom that encourages creativity and allows children some say in their learning? Leave a comment.

[As always, in my author quotes, the underlines, color changes, and bold type is mine, not the author’s!]

No comments: